Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Self Portrait: Charcoal

  My goals and intentions for this artwork were to see the lights and darks in my own facial features instead of looking at "an eye as an eye." I accomplished this by starting with the light of my brow bone and then filling in the eye and basing everything of that eye. I was surprised with my ability to do the hair. It was difficult to base things off the eye since I made it so large. I met this challenge my measures the other facial features with a pencil. I experienced left to right brain shift by looking at the shapes and turning the photo upsides down while doing the sketch. I think my drawing really works in the mouth and nose area. I learned to not be afraid to do hair and can now incorporate that into my next pieces. I learned from Jess because although her drawing was not necessarily realistic, It still had her look and was a really cool piece of art. If I had a do-over, I would base more things off the nose and mouth like i did for the david sketch so my eye wouldn't be so disproportional. I think the best many of my artwork is the mouth.

3 comments:

  1. i loved the way you used the shadow and highlights in a very interesting way. i think your artwork in charcoal is so nice and i very much like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you show light and darkness. The lighting shape looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your portrait captures a very dramatic moment. you are confronting the viewer forcing them to look out and take you seriously. Great use of getting all those medium tones and values to work for you .

    ReplyDelete

Hand and Cake Prints